There’s a lot of corruption in Indian Cricket, particularly, in tier 2 and tier 3 league matches of India, says Neeraj Kumar who has just retired as Head of the Anti Corruption & Security Unit (ACSU) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

In an exclusive interview with Cine Ink’s Pervaiz Alam, Former Police Commissioner of Delhi, Neeraj Kumar, reveals the extent of corruption in Indian Cricket by citing several examples of alleged match-mixing. However, he laments the fact that there is no specific law to deal with the corruption of fixing matches in India.

In a wide ranging interview, Neeraj Kumar shares details of his failed attempts to get the most wanted Mafia man – Dawood Ibrahim – back in India for his alleged crimes. He also reveals the details of arresting and bringing Yakub Memon back to India to face justice. Memon was later convicted over his involvement in the 1993 Bombay Bombings. Later, he was executed.

Mr. Kumar categorically denies that he had made any promises of leniency to Yakub Memon. He says Memon’s was an accidental arrest in Kathmandu, Nepal.

Neeraj Kumar was the Police Commissioner of Delhi in 2012, when a student was violently raped on a moving bus in Delhi and died of horrific internal injuries. He shares details of the incident and how he and his team were able to get successful convictions of all accused in the case. However, he doesn’t agree with the suggestion that women are not safe in India. “The number of incidents in India may be more, but when correlated with the population, it is less than other nations,” he says. Further, he says that incidents of rape in public spaces are just 3% whereas the rest of the incidents are about 97%, taking place in private spaces, where the culprit is known to the family of the victim.

Neeraj Kumar has written a book Dial D for Don: Inside Stories of CBI Case Missions, published by Penguin in 2015. The book is available on Amazon.


View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *